DVD Ripping is the process of decrypting and copying the contents of a DVD onto your hard drive. The entire process is called “ripping” because the process implies that you will “rip” both the video and audio tracks from the DVD. The reason that you have to rip a DVD to a hard drive is that DVDs are encrypted and you need to decrypt the files first before you can manipulate and get further access to them.
You need to rip the DVD files on to your hard drive because the files are stored on DVDs using an encryption technique, preventing you from directly accessing the files. Older programs such as DeCSS and Dodsrip are not as effective as the new rippers that are currently available because they use a cracked key to access the DVDs and some of the newer DVDs already have protection against this technique. The newer DVD rippers work by pretending to playback the DVD and then gain access by retrieving the actual key used to code the DVD.
Also read: How to Rip Copy-protected DVDs?
How to Rip a DVD to Your Computer Hard Drive?
Ripping DVDs involves the process of copying the DVD files (i.e., .VOB, .IFO, .BUP files) from the DVD disc onto your hard-drive without the CSS (Content Scrambling System) scrambling the files during the copying process. This essentially makes a perfect 1:1 copy of the DVD onto your hard drive so that the files will have the original quality and size.
I.) How to Rip a DVD on Windows 10?
The process of ripping DVDs in a Windows computer is pretty simple. It all depends on the DVD ripping software itself that is the DVD ripper for Windows. In the market, there are many alternatives and you can read our editor’s reviews on the best Windows DVD ripping software.
One of the favorite and best-rated Windows rippers is from Wonderfox. Following we will going to lay out the step-by-step tutorials on how to rip a DVD using Wonderfox DVD ripper pro on Windows 10. The process of using the program is very similar to the steps above (Mac version).
- Insert the DVD disc into your computer DVD drive.
- Launch the DVD ripping software – We recommend Wonderfox DVD Ripper Pro for Windows.
- You will see the following interface with three big blue selection that labeled DVD Disc, ISO Image, and DVD Folder.
- From the screen, you can choose the DVD Disc option and select your DVD drive before clicking OK.
- It will load the DVD contents onto the software. Once all the contents are loaded, you can do the editing to the video before rip it.
- You can improve the video quality and adjust the video settings by clicking on the Settings button. You can change the audio & video settings of the output files.
- To change the output file format, click on the Output Profile located near the sidebar. You also can set the video to play on a specific device.
- Before ripping the file, make sure you choose where you will store the output file by changing on the Output Folder path.
- Once ready, click the big Run button to begin the ripping process. It will take some time to complete.
- Once completed, you can open the file and watch the videos on your computer.
II.) How to Rip a DVD on Mac?
There are many Mac DVD rippers out there, and some are shareware while others are free. In this section, we will guide you on using the DVD ripping tool from MacX to rip the DVD on Mac OS X. It’s the best DVD ripper for Mac from our review. You can download the free trial version here and install it before we start.
- Insert the DVD disc into the computer optical/DVD drive.
- Open the DVD ripping software – Here we recommend the MacX DVD Ripper Pro.
- You will see the following picture on your computer screen.
- As you can see from the top of the window, there are DVD Disc, Folder, and ISO Image options.
- You can click on the DVD Disc option. Click OK if the optical drive appears to be correct.
- The analyzing process will start, and it will ask for a profile. You can choose the MP4 format as it can be played on almost any device (universal forms), drag the video quality, and hit the Done button.
- You will see all the titles on the screen now. You can do some editing on the video title like enable the subtitle, merge, trim, etc. to the video.
- You can choose the destination folder (for the ripped videos) and hit the Run button. The conversion will start, and it will take some time to finish the process.
- Once the ripping process is done, you can view the converted video files on your computer.
For more tutorials on how to rip DVDs on Mac, visit here.
III.) Rip a DVD to PC & Mac with Handbrake Free Ripper
In the following video, you will learn how to rip the DVDs using a free ripper called Handbrake. You will know how to do it on PC as well as Mac. Please note that the free tools like Handbrake come with some limitations like unable to rip the copy-protected discs.
How to Convert the DVDs and How Long does it Take?
Ripping a DVD will take about an hour and will require between 4 and 8 gigabytes of hard disk space. The time and amount of space needed will vary based upon your hardware and whether you rip a full DVD disc or just certain sections.
There are a few reasons why people learn how to rip DVDs to their hard drives. The first is probably to make sure the DVD itself doesn’t get destroyed since you can play all of your movies straight on your computer.
The second is convenience – you don’t have to get up and put any of the discs into your computer to play it. And the third is probably because you can transfer that DVD to video players, cell phones, and everything else that you can take with you.
Nowadays, not many people use DVD player anymore. Even some do, or even you do use the DVD player, it’s really convenient to have actual DVD files stored on your computer. So in the following section, we will show you how to rip the DVD contents and transfer it to your computer using the software.
The software often called a DVD ripper, also called DVD copy or DVD decrypter. A ripper is a program that allows you to copy files from the DVD to your hard-drive successfully. Some better ripper enables you to break this encryption and “rip” out the files from the DVD, without it being turned into garbage data.
Ripping DVDs FAQs
1. What’s the fastest way to rip a DVD?
Using software that’s specifically designed to do so – DVD ripper. There are tons of programs available, but I would stay away from the free ones. They’re usually riddled with bugs and glitches (as well as possibly containing viruses that mess up your computer.) Get an inexpensive one that has a guarantee so that you can’t go wrong.
2. How long does it take to rip a DVD?
Usually, it takes like an hour or something. You can leave it going in the background though. However, with more and more powerful computers coming out each year, it can probably be done in 30 minutes on the high specifications PC. It doesn’t take all day, though, if that’s what you’re wondering.
3. Is it illegal to learn how to rip DVDs?
Nope. Just don’t give them out to your friends. As I mentioned before, it’s perfectly acceptable to back up your DVD or transfer it to a format that you can use to play it for yourself. Don’t go out handing them to your buddies, though. That’s a big no-no.
4. How is the quality after I have ripped the DVD?
With good ripping software, it remains authentic. The HD quality should be the same, as well as the audio (even surround sound!) If you’re using a program that messes with the HD look, or even the audio quality, I would try something else.
5. I want subtitles. Can I rip a DVD with the subtitles showing?
Again, with most paid DVD ripping programs, you can. It’s pretty simple – you just check the box on subtitles. Look for this feature on the program that I personally recommend, as it includes the feature for free.
6. What if I want to burn the converted DVD to a CD or another DVD disc?
The best programs that I recommend allow you to back up your Blu Ray, DVD, or even HD DVD to your hard drive. After that, you can burn it to a new disc (even a CD if you use a different format) so you can transfer your DVDs to a Blu Ray disc, or a Blu Ray to a DVD disc, etc. This is great if you have a blu-ray player in your room, and say a DVD player in your living room. You can convert it, essentially, so that you can play it on your other player.
7. I got a virus from a free DVD program I tried, what do you recommend to remove it?
I tried a few different malware removers, and I found that Bitdefender GravityZone Business Security [use coupon code: SPRINGAFF50 for 50% OFF] worked great. It has a free edition that able to scan your PC for basic viruses. However, if you want to remove all the annoying viruses or malwares you can upgrade to the paid version which comes with advanced features to ensure total security protection.
Conclusion – You Can Rip DVDs with the DVD Ripping Software
Finding out how to rip DVDs on your own isn’t exactly straight forward. The DVD format is pretty strange and has to be transferred into a more common file format. Luckily there are many good ripping software that can do everything for you, including converting the format to something more playable.
The best DVD ripping programs actually have tons of formats that you can choose from (as well as shrinking the size for you if you’re putting it on a cell phone or something) so that should be really helpful.
Get the more reliable dvd rippers as recommended in this article so that you can convert all of the DVDs including those with copy-protections. All the best!