Last updated on May 30th, 2021
This site is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
VLC Media Player is actually the most prominent as well as durable multi-layout, complimentary media player readily available. VLC player rapidly came to be incredibly popular thanks to its own flexible multi-format playback capacities.
It was helped by being compatible as well as codec problems which provided competitor media gamers like QuickTime, Windows as well as Real Media Gamer ineffective to numerous prominent video and also music report styles.
The effortless, essential UI and a huge range of customization options have actually executed VLC Media Player’s position at the top from the free of charge media players.
VLC Media Player Vs. VLC DVD ripper
Have you heard about the VLC DVD ripper? Definitely not as there is no DVD ripper from VLC. In fact, you can use the popular VLC media player to rip dvd!
Many people will know the vlc media player as it’s free and very convenient in playing various types of media files including the popular MP4, AVI, MOV, MP3, and more.
The promise of the VLC Media Player program is a strong one. It is actually a free DVD or blu-ray player and the gamer software application that will participate in all media file kinds. Do you know that this software also can be used to rip DVDs content including the audio to mp3?
Yes, the free VLC DVD Ripper software can be used to rip homemade DVDs but not for commercial or copy-protected DVDs. Also, the supported output file formats are limited and hence you may need the VLC alternative to rip those DVDs with region code and copy protection.
The Recommended VLC Ripper Alternative:
Before we really go to see how to download and use a VLC player for ripping dvd, it’s good to check out the alternative of VLC since the program has some limitations.
For Mac users, you can check out this reliable software from Digiarty, MacX DVD Ripper Pro.
VLC Media Player: Download and Installation
Official website: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/
OS: Windows All / Mac / Linux / Mobile
You can download VLC Media Player offline installer here. From the page, you have several options to choose from:
- 7zip package: The downloaded file required the 7 zip file compressor to extract the content.
- Zip package: Another type of compress file that you can use either Winzip or WinRAR to extract the file.
- Installer for 64bit version: This is for the 64-bit operating system. You can check your system by going to Start – (right-click) on Computer – Properties. See the System type.
Once downloaded, extract the file as needed and you need to install the program before using it. Here are the complete installation steps:
- Double-click on the installer with the .exe file extension.
- If a security warning screen appears, just click on the Run button to proceed. If another permission window pop-up, click the Yes.
- Select a preferred language, i.e. English and click the OK.
- The installation will begin. On the welcome screen, just click on the Next button to continue.
- In the License Agreement screen, click the Next button again to proceed.
- Choose the necessary components you want to install. You also can accept the default option as it will work great. Click Next to continue.
- Choose the location where you want to install the program. If you don’t want to change, just click on the Next button to proceed.
- After a few seconds, the installation will complete. Click the Finish button to complete the entire installation process. The player will run for the first time.
Use VLC to Rip DVD on Windows – The Step-by-step Guide
Still, wondering how to use vlc to rip dvd? Here we will show you the full guide on the topic for free. Make sure you already download and install the video software successfully.
- Insert the DVD disc you want to rip into your computer DVD drive. Open the VLC media player. From the Media menu, choose Open Disc…
- You will see a new Open Media window pop-up. Choose the Disc tab.
- In the Disc Selection section, choose the option DVD.
- Disc device: make sure your computer DVD drive is selected. If not click the Browse button to choose it.
- Starting Position: If you know, you can set the Title and Chapter that indicate the position where you want to rip the DVD. Otherwise, just leave it at 0 for both values.
- Click the Play button will let you preview the DVD part that you have selected to rip.
- Besides the Play button, there is a ‘down-arrow’ and choose the Convert. A new Convert window is pop-up.
- From the Convert window, some settings needed:
- Source: No setting needed.
- Destination file: Click the Browse button and choose the location where you want to save the ripped files. Give a file name and make sure you change the file extension to your intended output formats like .mp4, .mov, .ogg, etc. MP4 file is recommended.
- Profile: You can choose the video codec for the output video. If needed (only), click the “Edit selected profile” button, and choose the needed option.
- When you are ready to rip the DVD, click the Start button. While the program is ripping the DVD, you will see the progress in the main window. It will take some time depending on the computer speed, file size, and format of the DVD.
- Once the ripping process is finished, you can see the file in the location that you choose. Just double-click on the file to run the converted file.
For those that prefer a video guide, here you go:
While the VLC media player is one of the best movie players out there, this is NOT the best dvd ripper that you can rely on. Reasons:
- The player/ripper cannot rip the copy-protected or most commercial DVDs.
- The supported output file formats are very limited and functions on video editing, converting, and compression also limited.
- The software is a little complicated to use especially for novice users as in various settings you need to do as explained above.
- Great DVD rippers picked by our editors: WinX or Wonderfox.
How to Rip DVD Audio to MP3 Using VLC Media Player?
For those who just want to extract audio from the DVD, there are several programs that you can use including the VLC player.
But in this section, we will show you how to use the VLC to rip DVD audio to MP3. You can follow the step-by-step guide above but choose the output profile to Audio – MP3 as shown on the following screen. All the rest of the steps are the same.
Of course, our editor also reviews some of the top-rated DVD audio extractors for your reference. If you want us to pick, we recommend the best dvd ripping software for your DVD audio and video ripping needs.
Please note that the VLC player not only can rip DVD, you also can use it to rip blu-ray, VCD/SVCD, audio CD and save them to your computer or laptop.
Conclusion: VLC is Good for Ripping Non-commercial DVDs
Since a lot of people are trying to use the free VLC software as their dvd audio and video ripping tool, we recommend you use the software if the volume of DVDs you want to rip is not large and no commercial discs in it.
If you want to rip all those copy-protected DVDs, required faster speed and better quality output you should get a paid DVD ripper and we recommend WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. Our editors also rated this as the best dvd ripping software and now they also have a special discount offer.