Last updated on February 15th, 2022
This site is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Still wondering how to copy a dvd on Windows 10? Two methods:
To copy a DVD on your computer means turning the DVD’s content into a file in your computer hard drive. It is also known as “DVD ripping”. If you want to copy the data onto another blank DVD disc, it’s refer to as “DVD copying”.
To copy a DVD onto another disc, you will need the original DVD along with a new and blank DVD with the same storage capacity. The computer that you are using to execute this process should also have a DVD-RW drive (built-in or external) and burning software (if you want to burn the data i.e. also called “DVD burning”).
Apart from this, you also need a program engineered to help you burn or copy a DVD on your computer. This article will tell you all there is to know about how to copy a DVD on Windows 10.
The Two Methods to Copy a DVD on Windows 10/8/7
Basically, there are several ways to backup a DVD. You can use either DVD copy software to duplicate the DVDs, or use DVD burning software to burn the DVD to another disc. Also, you can use the DVD ripper to digitize the DVDs.
Method 1: Using DVD Copy Software: DVDFab DVD Copy
DVDFab DVD Copy is a great DVD copying software that is simple and easy to use, even for non-technical individuals. This software makes the perfect bundle of all the essential features that make the DVD copying process flawless and versatile.
In its integrity, the DVDFab DVD Copy is an all-in-one software that combines a DVD cloner, burner, and copier. It can manipulate, read, and rearrange the content of your original DVD according to your will. If your computer is equipped with two DVD drives, you can simultaneously insert both the original DVD and the blank DVD to copy the DVD to DVD quickly.
The DVDFab DVD Copy is compatible and available in both Windows and Mac systems. Click here to check out more about this copying program.
The Features of the DVDFab DVD Copy
The following are some of the main features of this copying software:
- It has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to use for everyone.
- You can clone many different types of CD/DVDs, even the ones that are copyright-protected including removing the Cinavia watermarks.
- With the DVDFab DVD Copy, you can copy your DVD content into your computer’s hard disk as a DVD file folder or an ISO image file.
- You can burn any DVDs, including DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW.
- It has six copy modes to choose from:
- Full Disc- You can use this option to copy all of the content from the original DVD or ISO file, or folder
- Main Movie- This mode is for copying only the main movie title from the original disc, folder, or ISO file
- Customize- This mode will let you copy any of the content you want to copy from the original DVD, folder, or ISO file
- Split- This option lets you split one single DVD-9 into two DVD-5s.
- Merge- You can use this feature to combine or merge multiple different DVDs into one single DVD
- Clone/Burn- You can use this option to clone a DVD in a 1:1 ratio without losing anything.
- DVDFab DVD Copy is engineered to facilitate users with many different languages. You can even pre-select the preferred language for the subtitles and the audio.
- You get to enjoy a full trial for 3 discs and experience all the program features without any restrictions before committing to a paid version.
Official page: https://www.dvdfab.cn/dvd-copy.htm
A Step-by-step Guide to Copy DVD Using DVDFab DVD Copy
1. Download DVDFab DVD Copy. You can choose the Windows/Mac version from DVDFab official page and choose to either go for a full trial or purchase the full version.
2. After purchase and download it, install and launch the application on your computer.
3. On the initial window, go to the top left of the page, where you will find an options bar. Click on “Copy” button and you have 6 modes to choose from.
4. Insert the original DVD that you want to burn in the drive and the software will auto load it. If you’re going to copy an ISO file or folder, you can drag and drop the folder into the program interface.
5. You can define the output size, chapters, subtitles, and audio tracks in the next window according to the type of copy mode you choose.
6. If you want more advanced customizations, you can click the ‘Advanced Settings‘ button and choose your output as DVD 5 or DVD 9.
7. After this, you can choose the output directory you will find on the bottom of the page. If you choose ‘optical drive,’ the output is the blank DVD. If you click on the folder icon, your work will be saved as a DVD folder, and if you choose the image, it will keep your output as an ISO file.
8. To copy the original DVD into another blank DVD, you will have to insert a blank disc when prompted by the system.
9. After you ensure everything is in place, click on the ‘Start’ button.
10. You will see the speed of copying and detailed information of what is being copied on the computer screen.
Method 2: Using DVD Creator Software: Wondershare DVD Creator
Wondershare DVD Creator is software that helps you professionally burn DVDs. This software supports many different operating systems, including Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 7,8, 10, and Mac.
This software is made to help you copy and burn DVDs and DVD folder files to DVDs, DVD Folders, and ISO files with various customizations that you can make according to your preferences.
Not only this, but Wondershare DVD Creator also lets you enjoy additional features such as editing video, making slideshows with photos, and other such functions.
Official page: https://dvdcreator.wondershare.com/
The Main Features of Wondershare DVD Creator
Here are the notable features of this Wondershare software:
- Wondershare DVD Creator helps you copy DVD to DVD with lightning-fast speed.
- The software boasts a One-click Burn DVD feature.
- The different formats available in the program lets you copy DVD in DVD, DVD Folder, DVD-5, DVD-9, Data Disc, and ISO files.
- You can also turn videos and photos into DVDs with Wondershare DVD Creator.
- There is an option to create a photo slideshow along with music, graphics, and texts.
- You can also edit videos such as watermarking, cropping, rotating, and adding special effects.
- You can also copy the DVD with full movies and the menu or without the menu and even go for the Custom Mode.
- The extensive customizations available include choosing the type of audio you want, removing chapters, editing subtitles, and even real-time preview.
- Wondershare DVD Creator is compatible for use on a myriad of platforms such as Mac 10.6 or newer and Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.
The Steps to Copy DVD Using Wondershare DVD Creator
Before start, make sure you already buy, download and install the Wondershare DVD Creator successfully.
1. Launch the application. It will show you the initial interface.
2. Click on More DVD Tools option at the bottom of the screen.
3. Select DVD to DVD option from the list that pops up. This will open a new window where you can copy your disc.
4. Insert the original DVD that you want to copy into your computer DVD drive.
5. Under the Original: column, choose your DVD drive, that is your source DVD. If your computer only have one DVD drive, then put the Target: column same as the Original:
Note: For those who have only one DVD drive on your computer, you can wait after inserting your Source DVD. After copied, the source DVD will be ejected automatically by the computer and you can insert the target blank DVD to be copy to the DVD drive.
6. Select the preferred option from the dropdown list for Output Type, Disc Label, and Copy Mode for your target DVD. Ensure that you check the compatibility with whichever device you are planning on using the Target DVD.
7. If you choose “Custom Mode” under “Copy Mode,” you can customize your target DVD as you like.
8. If you are satisfied with all your customizations, you can click on the “Start” button on the bottom-right of the screen to start copying the DVD.
Of course there are various DVD burning software available that can do the DVD backup by duplicating the DVDs.
Keeping a copy of your DVD content, such as necessary files and folders, is an excellent way to keep backup in case of emergencies. Still, it would be best if you also were wary of legal repercussions before copying or burning CD/DVDs.
Since copying and burning discs have a reputation of being considered piracy, it is best to check the labels on your original DVD to check for copyrights. Most of these types of DVDs are protected or encrypted. However, there are softwares that you can use to copy even encrypted and protected DVDs.
Therefore, you should ensure that you are within the legal jurisdictions while burning such DVDs as copying discs that have already been copyrighted for distribution is illegal in some countries.