Last updated on January 1st, 2023
This site is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Online Video Converter and Video Converter Program, which one would you prefer?
An online video converter is an online video conversion site on the Internet which usually is free and it’s able to convert videos. But do you know how it works?
On the other side, a video converter program is software that you need to install on the PC and the software can be used to convert various video formats. What are the advantage and disadvantages of both?
Objectively speaking, I like both (Prerequisite: it’s a reliable online video converter site). Strictly speaking, a reliable video converter program is an irreplaceable choice. Let’s have a look!
Video Converter Software VS Online Video Converter
A mainstream online video converter usually can convert various video and audio formats for playback on different portable devices and PC. For quite a part of the converter, they can also download online videos.
Moreover, it does exist an all-in-one audio video converter, video downloader, media player, and video editor which are seldom been used.
While even though the best online video converter site, the video/audio file formats that can be converted are limited. Assuming it supports all format conversions, then the question is does it work well? It isn’t partiality, keep reading!
Compare with online video conversion sites, maybe it’s true that video converter software is more likely to be affected by viruses, malware, spyware, or adware. But hey! You should know that the virus is from an online site and then affect the application files on your computer.
- For the video converter application, apps must be installed on the computer, video files must be downloaded or exist on the computer’s hard disk, and the software will retrieve/upload the video file, then convert it to the computer. The entire process is finished on your computer.
- The working process of an online video converter site, on the contrary, is totally different: after adding the download video URL to the box provided, it must download the video onto its web server first, convert the video on the server, it takes a longer time, then transfer the converted video file to your computer, it also takes the time. Whatever, a good Internet speed is needed.
Without a webserver & Internet, it can do nothing. That’s why many online video converter users complain the conversion is so damn slow and unsteady, btw, if there are many people who use the same online video converter site at the same time, then the web server may crash.
Actually, the online video downloader is just a part feature of the online video converter — download video to the Webserver. It’s also why an online video downloader is working better than an online video converter.
More on Video Converter Software
As usual, you just need to copy the URL of a video, paste it to the box, then choose the file format to convert, and click Start. You can download the video once it’s completed. It’s useable and really simple, but the question is: how many of those perfect online video converter sites have you found? I dare to say, “Not many!” I think it’s also the answer for most people.
And have you found some problems when converting? Such as error reminders: updating currently, modifying algorithm data currently, net error, the server is busy, the conversion speed is so damn slow, then failed to convert, blah~ ~ the flexible reason that makes you confuse or make you feel reasonable.
For video converter software on Mac or PC, you can find some are free while others are not. The free converters generally have fewer features and support fewer file formats. So, paid or shareware video converters are always a preferred choice.
You need to install the software before can use the program. Once installed, basically you need to choose the file and output file format then convert the video. Usually, a good converter can support batch conversion.
How to Convert MKV to MP4 Without Quality Loss?
The 5 Most Reliable Free Video Converters Software
How to Convert MOV to MP4 on Windows and Mac?
Some Debates on the Video Converter!
Where can I find an online free online URL video audio converter that can convert ANY kind of video?
While most of the URL video converters are free but they cannot guarantee that you can convert every video as you wish! This is especially true as there is a file size limitation that the online converter can support. More, you need to have a good internet connection while doing the conversion.
– Comment: In case one video converter cannot get the job done i.e. having the error, try to use other similar applications online or switch to a more reliable desktop video converter.
- Is there a free online video converter that works for ANY streaming videos?
There are a lot of cool videos out there that I just have to have for my iPod, the only problem is that a lot of the videos are considered “pornographic”, are associated with pornographic sites, or any free video converter or downloader that I find don’t take the URL because the websites that I’m getting it from aren’t supported on theirs.
– Comment: Actually, circumspective people could know that it doesn’t support any site. For streaming videos, you need to use the methods discussed here. To sell horsemeat as beefsteak is the usual practice. It comes out right every time.
- What is an online video converter that converts any videos online?
I need to find one online video converter that can convert/download not only YouTube videos but other ones too. I’ve tried zamzar.com, media.io, online-convert.com, and a few others but was not really successful. But those videos from encrypted sites are not easy to convert using the online video converter.
– Comment: Actually, the above-mentioned online video converter sites are very famous, but this guy met the intentional, invalid time. Getting video converter software is another good solution.
- How to download this .flv/.swf video from this site. Online video grabbers do not work?
Also, I got a video that doesn’t have a link. It’s on a website, but the video pops up on a separate screen WITHOUT any URL, I have already tried Tunecab Online, and it does not work. Any suggestions? Video converter sites like media.io did not really work. Tried the browser extension or add-on – no luck.
– Comment: It is probably blocked to stop downloads. Actually, totally believable that those video converter sites do not support the site you want to download the video off. And without a video URL, an online site can do nothing.
Conclusion and Our Picks
There are many video converter software as well as online converters available. Choosing a great converter can be a challenging task. Here are our recommendations and honest reviews:
- VideoProc Converter
- Wondershare UniConverter
- Wonderfox HD Video Converter Factory Pro
- WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
- DVDFab Video Converter
Does Online Video Converter defeat Video Converter Program? Maybe probable – months or years ahead. But if the hardware converter is born, then things are different! One thing for sure is that currently, the desktop video converter program is still better than an online or URL movie converter.