Tired of downloading videos from the Internet? Then, you come to the right place as this article going to reveal some of the proven methods to get almost any videos on the net.
There are several methods that we can use to download a video from the Internet:
- The most common way is to use video download software. The software dedicated to download web videos and it’s either Windows-based or Mac compatible. The recommended good streaming downloader like DVDFab DRM video downloader is not free!
- The second method is using a browser add-on or extension. This kind of add-ons is mostly free to download and it’s available online.
- As a third and final option, you may download a video directly from the web using the video grabbing sites.
To be honest, the second and third methods cannot guarantee that you can download all the videos that you like. Anyway, this article will reveal some of the great browser add-ons that you can use to download online videos.
Top 3 Browser Add-ons or Extensions for Video Downloading
If you are not familiar, the Internet browser is a program that we use to search for information online. Well-known browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, etc.
However, when looking for add-ons we are more focused on Firefox extensions as Google does not allow any extension in Google Chrome to download YouTube videos. Since the add-on was developed by a third-party, some extensions still can be used on chrome.
Also, some add-ons required you to restart the browser before you can use it while others may require you to restart the PC.
If you want to search for any popular Firefox add-ons, here is the link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/. We do recommend some of the top add-ons to download videos.
Add-on #1: Video DownloadHelper for Firefox and Chrome
This add-on is one of the greatest extensions to download and convert web videos from hundred of video-sharing sites and save them to your computer hard drive. The add-on is available for both firefox and chrome browsers.
Video DownloadHelper supports several types of streamings, as well as Twitter Periscope, make it unique amongst video downloaders. It can support all the popular video sharing sites including youtube, Facebook, Dailymotion, Vimeo, Metacafe, UStream, etc.
With this add-on, you can capture the full browsing session and generate a video out of it. With the additional add-on, you also able to convert videos and merge several videos into a single file.
Install & download videos using a Video DownloadHelper – Firefox add-on
- Open Mozilla Firefox, go to the add-on page at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/, and click on Add to Firefox button.
- It will take some time to start the installation, then you will be prompted by the browser to confirm the installation, click the Install button. After few seconds, the installation completed.
- Immediately from your firefox browser, you will notice the Video DownloadHelper icon just beside the page URL (address bar).
- Once you navigate to the particular video page, for example, you can open any youtube video, just click the Video DownloadHelper icon and click on the right-arrow at the end of the entry and choose Download to download the video to your hard drive.
Install & download videos using a Video DownloadHelper – Chrome extension
- Open Chrome browser and navigate to the Video DownloadHelper extension page – https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-downloadhelper/lmjnegcaeklhafolokijcfjliaokphfk
- Click on Add to Chrome button. Click Add extension button again when prompt to confirm the installation of Video DownloadHelper.
- After downloaded and install it, you can start using the extension. The steps are very similar to the steps above (for Firefox).
Add-on #2: NetVideoHunter for Firefox
This download helper tool lets you easily download videos and audios from many audio-video sharing sites like Youtube, Facebook, Metacafe, Dailymotion, etc.
One great thing about this extension is that you can preview music or videos (with a built-in media player) to ensure you download the right video file. At the moment, this add-on is only available on Firefox and not for Chrome.
The installation of this extension is similar to the other add-ons. So just take a look at the steps above. Download using the link below:
Install & download videos using a NetVideoHunter
- Firstly, go to a page with embedded video or any youtube page. You’ll notice that the NetVideoHunter icon will flash, alerting you that the video on the page can be downloaded.
- Secondly, click on the NetVideoHunter icon, and click the Download button next to the video you want to save.
Note: If you are on youtube, you can choose the download video quality (if it’s available). Just right-click on the lists and select the appropriate video quality (360p, 480p, or 720p). More info can be found on netvideohunter.com.
Add-on #3: Download YouTube Videos as MP4
This is another popular extension that allows you to download videos from youtube and save it as Flv or MP4. It integrates a download button in the Youtube interface just below the player. You also can choose the video quality either MP4 360p or 720p.
This add-on can support many browsers. However, besides firefox, you need to install an additional add-on in order to use this extension.
You should know that youtube is the largest video sharing site on the Internet and this add-on only supports Youtube sites and not other video sharing sites.
Install and use this add-on:
- Open Mozilla Firefox, navigate to the browser add-on page at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-youtube/[currently unavailable].
- The installation of the add-on is pretty simple and the same as the steps outline in add-on #1. So, just follow the steps there.
- After installing the extension, go to youtube.com and choose a video to download. You’ll notice a new “Download” button below the player. Click the button and you can select one of the video quality formats that are available.
Disabling Add-on or Extension on Browser
Sometimes you may need to remove or edit the installed add-ons/extensions on your browser. Here are the steps that you can follow to disable the add-on on Firefox or Chrome.
To disable or remove any add-on on Mozilla Firefox
- Click on the Tools menu, and choose Add-ons.
- You will be present with a list of installed add-ons on Firefox, click the Remove button to the next of the add-on that you wish to remove.
- You may need to restart firefox to see the add-on was removed.
To disable or remove any add-on on Google Chrome
- Go to chrome://extensions/, you will see a list of extensions installed.
- Besides all the extensions, there is an Enabled If you want to remove the extension, just remove the tick beside the extension.
So, three browser add-ons or extensions to download video introduce here can really help you to download almost any video online. If you want us to recommend, you can go for Video Downloadhelper.
Of course, some of the encrypted video sharing sites may not allow you to download the videos and hence you may need to use video download software to get the movie files.