Last updated on September 24th, 2021
An excellent free tool for quickly editing videos with very few technical features involved is iMovie. This is wonderful software that helps users carve out videos and turn them into a comprehensive file.
iMovie is great software because it allows the users to edit videos and audio without altering the original file. So, it does not hamper the quality of the videos. However, you have to note that iMovie comes only in Mac operating systems and cannot be used on other computers that include PCs.
Since it’s free, many people have to use the software to do some customizations on the movies by importing the DVD to iMovie software for editing.
In this article, we’ll take a look at how to convert DVD to iMovie through both free and paid methods. We’ll also give you step-by-step instructions on how to get the formatting done successfully.
iMovie is a software that deals in editing video clips and other forms of visual media. This software is developed by Apple and released in the late 90s. There are a couple of video formats that are compatible with the iMovie application.
The software supports formats such as MP4, AVI, MOV, H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, XAVC-S, MJPEG, M4V, DV, HDV, AVCHD, HEVC, XAVC/XAVC, just to name a few. You can also import DVDs to iMovie seamlessly by using this software.
iMovie helps you tell your story cohesively in a way that will keep the viewers engaged and excited throughout the video. You can create videos for memories of special occasions and events that have taken place in your lives through this software.
iMovie is user-friendly and can be operated by anyone who has basic computer and editing knowledge. Users also have access to a wide array of editing tools and interfaces to make one’s video truly unique.
How to Import DVD to iMovie? Free & Paid Methods
Method 1: Convert DVD to iMovie with MacX DVD to iMovie Converter [Free Method]
MacX Free DVD to iMovie Converter is a free application that you can use to convert DVD to iMovie formats. You can use this application in MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMacs. This software helps you convert DVD files to iMovie compatible formats with no alterations in the video files.
This software helps you execute your editing tasks efficiently as the interface is quite simple and easy to operate. It can also support a ton of formats like M4V, MP4, MOV, etc. The finished version is excellent, and the DVD rips are quick and fast.
The main features of MacX Free DVD to iMovie Converter are:
- The app has an excellent engine and interface that makes sure the video outputs are top-notch.
- It is exclusively designed for iMovie and can support any iMovie video format in the highest video quality.
- With the help of the quad-core CPU utility, it helps users convert files in the fastest way possible.
- The software supports encrypted DVD discs in which the application can resolve any ripping difficulties.
- It helps you edit and create any video file through iMovie with no formatting problems.
- This software is a free application that you can download and use it right away without any transactions.
- It is specifically designed for Mac operating systems and not for Windows.
Official page: https://www.macxdvd.com/dvd-to-imovie-converter-free/
Steps to Convert and Import DVD to iMovie with MacX DVD to iMovie Converter
Step 1: Load the software
Before you start converting the files, run the software after you’ve installed it.
Step 2: Load the DVD File
From the software, you can either click on the “DVD Disc”, “DVD Folder” or “ISO” to import the DVD movies. After loaded, the software can detect the correct movie title.
Step 3: Format the DVD to iMovie
Another window will appear where you have to choose the format for output. Head on over to the Free Use Profile, choose to iMovie Video, and then click on the type of format you want the video to be like MP4 Video.
Step 4: Begin the Converting Process
In the Destination Folder: option, click the Browse button to locate the folder where you want to save your converted files. After which, you have to click on the RUN button to begin the conversion process. This process will convert your DVD files into the chosen iMovie-supported formats.
Step 5: Transfer the Converted Files to iMovie
Now, you can transfer the video files to iMovie program and start editing with the application. For this, you’ll have to go to Open iMovie > Files, choose the Import option, and then select the video files.
If you need more video editing features and support all the latest portable devices like iPhone, iPad, Samsung, etc, or export the video to software like Final Cut Pro, you can use the more advanced software like the MacX DVD Ripper Pro.
Method 2: Convert DVD to iMovie with Leawo DVD Ripper for Mac [Paid Method]
Leawo DVD Ripper for Mac is a paid software that allows you to convert DVD files to iMovie for editing and formatting purposes. This is a user-friendly tool that helps you effortlessly import your DVD files to iMovie to be compatible with the software.
This DVD ripper software is essential for users who want to convert DVD video files to iMovie recognizable formats quickly. This allows you to transfer the files to iMovie for editing and other touch-ups.
Some key features of Leawo DVD ripper for Mac are:
- You can convert DVD to video for MAC operating systems with over a hundred compatible formats. Some examples are MOV, WMV, FLV, MP4, AAC, AVI, etc.
- It can even convert commercial DVD files and turn them free of the region, thus allowing you to take them anywhere.
- This software is fully supported in the latest versions of Mac operating systems and even older versions.
- You can even convert DVD files so that you can play them on Android phones, Apple iPhones, and Windows devices.
- You can alter the video output, which one can explicitly modify for MAC systems.
- On Mac computers, this software allows you to convert DVD videos to YouTube compatible videos. This also includes supported formats for other social media platforms.
- You can source video files onto the software, making it possible for you to adjust and alter any effect on the videos, including subtitles.
Official page: https://www.leawo.com/pro/dvd-ripper-mac.html
How to Convert DVD to iMovie with Leawo DVD Ripper for Mac?
- Import the DVD files to the software: Select the DVD files you wish to convert through the Load Disk option. This allows you to load the video files onto the software. You also have the option to import additional files if you wish.
- Select the option you want: Here, you have two modes to select: Episode and Movie. These modes help you choose the video which is either longest or episodic, depending on your choices.
- Select additional features: You have the power to add to the video like subtitles, make audio adjustments, etc. After this, move onto the next step.
- Select output settings: After each title, select the device option. This prompts you to choose the desired file format compatible with iMovie. Additionally, clicking on the + option allows you to alter the aspect ratio, frame rates, audio quality, and such.
- Start conversion process: Select ‘Convert’ with the files you have chosen to start the converting process.
- Import the converted files: After the conversion process, you can finally choose the files to import to iMovie since they will be compatible. You can start editing your converted MP4 or MOV files in iMovie.
Through this software, you can trim the length of the video, crop the video size, and also add extra effects to the video. Also, make sure you choose the output source to access the files on your Mac computer easily. Having the output folder in a good location can make it easier for you to access the file.
Since Mac OS X make it not so easy for you to directly edit DVD files, formatting software like MacX and Leawo makes it really convenient to convert any files for iMovie to recognize. With the help of this software, you can import DVDs to iMovie flawlessly and start editing.
This dvd conversion software allows you to access so many valuable features including import the DVDs to iMovie compatible file formats and watermarks are also made possible through these tools.
Whether you are working on a home video, editing it with free iMovie software makes it crucial to gain the perfect video to present to everyone. The proper form of editing can make a video pleasing to the eyes and also gain more attention from the viewers.
The art of blending visual and audio effects is what makes the viewers feel connected to the project. So, having the necessary tools to beautify and alter any video aspect is what makes editing very special and necessary.