Last updated on December 2nd, 2022
This site is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
There are a few reasons why you might want to convert MTS to MP4 file format. Maybe you have some old MTS footage that you want to watch on your new TV or computer. Or, perhaps you need it for work or school.
Whatever the reason, you will find that there are many ways to convert the MTS file format to MP4. However, not all methods are created equal. Some methods will result in a lower-quality video, while others can be very time-consuming.
In this guide, we’ve rounded up the best methods for converting MTS to MP4 file format so you can choose the one that’s right for you. What’s more, you don’t even have to be tech-savvy to use these methods – we’ll walk you through each step of the process.
What Is MTS File? And Why Convert to MP4?
MTS files are high-definition videos that are used by many camcorders, including Panasonic, Canon, and Sony. They are often used for storing HD video on Blu-ray discs or AVCHD DVDs.
While MTS files offer excellent quality, they can be difficult to view or edit on some devices. This is where converting them to MP4 comes in handy.
MP4 format is compatible with many devices and programs, making it a good choice for sharing or editing videos. Converting MTS files to MP4 is an excellent way to make them more versatile and easier to work with.
MP4 files are also smaller in size, so they take up less space on your hard drive. You don’t have to worry about losing any quality when you convert the MTS file format to MP4, either. They are also easier to share, so if you want to post your videos online, convert them to MP4 first.
The 4 Methods to Convert MTS to MP4 File
As said, there are a variety of ways for converting MTS files to MP4, some more efficient than others. Let’s explore in detail four different methods:
I.) Using Video Converter for Windows – Wonderfox HD Video Converter Factory Pro
This is a professional video converter that can convert MTS files to MP4 very quickly. It also supports a wide variety of other file formats, including AVI, WMV, MOV, and more, making it a versatile tool.
This is a 4-in-1 video converter that not only can use to convert videos but also can use it to download videos and record anything on your computer screen, as well as a gif maker. It is available for Windows, and there is a free trial available.
Here are the simple steps for MTS file format to MP4 conversion using WonderFox HD Video Converter Factory Pro:
1. Download and install WonderFox HD Video Converter Factory Pro on your desktop.
2. Once installed, launch the program and click on the “Converter” option from the main screen.
3. Click “Add Files” to import the MTS files you want to convert. This will open a dialog box and you need to choose a .mts file and hit the “Open” button.
4. Under the “Click to change output format:” option, click on it to open a list of output profiles available. Select “MP4” (under the “Video” category) as the output format.
5. Click the “Run” button to begin the conversion.
The conversion process will start immediately and should only take a few minutes. Once it is finished, you can find the converted MP4 files in the output folder.
II.) Using Video Converter for Mac – Cisdem Video Converter
For Mac users, Cisdem is an excellent video converter that can convert MTS to MP4 file format on Mac operating system. It has a very user-friendly interface, and it is very simple to use. The conversion process is also very fast.
Cisdem video converter can convert MTS file format to MP4, AVI, MOV, FLV, and other video and audio formats. In addition, this tool supports batch conversion, so you can convert multiple MTS files to MP4 at the same time.
Moreover, Cisdem also lets you download videos, and edit the video files before conversion, such as trimming, cropping, adding watermarks, adding effects, subtitles, etc. You also can use the software to rip DVDs to the intended video & audio formats.
Here are the steps for converting MTS format to MP4 with the help of the Cisdem video converter:
1. Download and install the Cisdem video converter on your Mac system.
2. Launch the Cisdem video converter on your Mac and select the “Convert” tab.
3. Next, import the MTS file you want to convert by drag-and-dropping the files into the interface or by clicking on the “File” menu, and choose the “Add File(s)…” option. Choose a .mts file and it will appear on the software screen.
4. Then, click the image [red box in the picture below] to bring out the output profiles. Point to “General Video” and select “MP4 Video” as your output format.
5. Click on the “Convert” button [yellow box in the picture above] to start the video conversion process.
Once the conversion is done, you can find the converted MP4 files in the output folder.
III.) Using Free Software Tool – VLC Media Player
The VLC media player tool is a free and open-source media player that can be used on both Windows and macOS. It can play various audio and video formats, including MTS files.
You can use this free software tool for many purposes such as ripping DVDs, convert video including converting from MTS to MP4 format by following the steps below:
1. Download and install the VLC media player on your PC.
2. Launch the program and from the “Media” menu, click on the “Convert / Save” option. This will open a new “Open Media” dialog box.
3. Make sure the “File” tab is selected, then click on the “Add” button and locate the MTS file you wish to convert, select it and click the “Open” button.
4. Click on the small arrow next to the “Convert / Save” button and click the “Convert” button. This will open the “Convert” window.
5. Make sure the “Profile” is set to: “Video – H.264 + MP3 (MP4)”. In the “Destination file:” column, click on the “Browse” button and select the location where you want to save the converted file.
6. Enter a name for the file in the “Destination file” field and click on the “Save” button. This will back to the “Convert” window.
7. Click the “Start” button to begin the conversion of the MTS to the MP4 file. Once the conversion is complete, click on “Close” to exit the window.
You can now play the converted MTS file in any media player or device that supports the MP4 format.
IV.) Using Free Online Video Converter – CloudConvert.com
Cloudconvert.com is a free online video converter that can be used for the conversion of MTS files to MP4 files. It is a simple and easy-to-use converter with a fast conversion speed that can be used by anyone.
The converter can be used for converting MTS format to MP4 files in different resolutions such as 1080p, 720p, 480p, and 360p. It also allows users to select the frame rate, bitrate, and audio codec.
The converter supports various video formats such as MP4, AVI, FLV, MKV, WMV, MOV, MTS, and WEBM. Here are the steps for conversion of MTS format to MP4 using Cloud convert:
1. Go to the official website (https://cloudconvert.com/mts-to-mp4) and click the arrow beside the “Select File” button, and click the “From my Computer” option.
2. From the new window, browse and select the MTS file you wish to convert and click on the “Open” button.
3. Click on the “Convert” button to begin the conversion process.
Once the conversion is finished, you can download the MP4 file. The file will be saved in the output format you have selected. You can also choose to download the file to your computer or save it in Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive.
You can also use Cloud convert for converting MTS file format to MP4 on Mac. The steps are similar to the ones mentioned above.
Well, there you have it – four different methods that you can make use of for MTS format to MP4 file conversion. You can choose any of the methods depending on your needs and preferences.
If you want a fast and simple conversion, then you can opt for any of the online converters but it has some limitations. If you need more features and options, then you can opt for the video converter software.
Whichever method you choose, make sure that you follow the steps carefully to convert not only the MTS file but also any other video file formats without any issues.