Last updated on March 17th, 2023
This site is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Can PS4 play DVDs? What are PS4 video formats? is a mind-boggling question many first-timers in the tech world search on Google. It is undoubtedly a piece of good-to-know information if you are looking for simple gadget hacks to optimize your device performance.
Owning a PS4 comes with many benefits. Besides the fact that you can play games on a hard-core level, it is no brainer that you can also run DVDs or Blu-ray discs with or without internet backup.
How to Play a DVD on PS4 without the internet is tricky yet, simple once you get the hang of it. There are certain specifics you need to keep in mind. Through this article, you will learn two fundamental hacks.
How to Enable Disc Playback Feature on PS4 and Play the DVDs ?
The first trick is about how you can enable Disc Playback Feature on your PS4 and play DVDs, and the second trick is about the available options or alternatives you can apply. The following steps show you how to enable the disc playback feature on PS4.
- First of all, you have to insert the DVD disc into the PS4.
- Make sure your PlayStation 4 is connected to the internet, either using Ethernet (LAN) or Wi-Fi. Steps to connect with your controller: Click on Settings, select Network, and click on Set-up Internet Connection. Follow the on-screen instructions to configure the internet/network setting.
- For Ethernet/ LAN: Choose the Use a LAN Cable, then select Easy. There will be instructions on the screen to guide you in setting up your network automatically. It is hassle-free.
- To connect through Wi-Fi: Choose the Use Wi-Fi button and select scan/search. You will see a list of networks. If the Wi-Fi you are opting for does show up, continue scanning for available devices. Then, follow the on-screen instructions to continue the setup.
- Follow up with setting configuration, and your device will be connected automatically. Sometimes the Wi-Fi network you wish to connect to may not be found. Double-check your secondary device and make sure the network is visible to other nearby devices.
- Once you are through with your network set-up, just insert the selected DVD into your PS4, and there you should have it. You have successfully enabled Disc Playback Feature on your PS4.
You do not need to enable Disc Playback Feature the next time you wish to play DVDs on your PS4. Neither do you require an internet connection for it?
Special note: Some PS4s required you to enable the HDCP option in order to play the DVDs or Blu-rays. Please follow the guide on this video:
Alternative Way to Play DVDs on PS4 or Other Devices
Here are three steps to play DVDs on PS4 WITHOUT an internet connection:
- Since PS4 comes with in-built plug-and-play support for both pen drives and USB, the first step is to convert your DVDs into portable digital formats.
- How to convert: via WonderFox DVD Ripper Pro or other similar dvd ripping tools.
- Once converted, insert your drive into the in-build USB plug of your PS4 and play.
Wonderfox DVD Ripper Pro is the best alternative for copying DVD content by compressing the file size to software files. It has an impressive compression ratio with about 80% strength and also produces 99% correct DVD titles.
The software does not support glitches such as auto-muted audio/video, playback errors, frozen screens, etc.
How to convert DVD contents into PS4-compatible videos using Wonderfox DVD Ripper Pro guidelines.
Steps to Convert DVDs Into PS4 Compatible Formats Using Wonderfox DVD Ripper Pro:
1. Download or buy the software (with a discount) and install the Wonderfox DVD Ripper Pro software on your PC.
2. Insert the selected DVD movie of your choice into the computer DVD drive.
3. Launch the Wonderfox DVD software and you will see the following screen.
4. Select the DVD Disc, which will be in a blue-colored box.
5. While the DVD is loaded and the movie is auto-selected, you can choose the Output Folder, where to store the converted DVD files.
6. Then, choose your output format, which will be located on the right side of your screen. Click on ‘Sony’ from the device category.
7. Select the PS4 option on the given screen and click ‘Run’ to start converting your selected DVD videos into software files. This conversion will be auto-PS4 compatible.
8. After successfully digitizing your DVD into a portable format, the next step is to transfer the videos to your flash drive.
9. First, plug in the USB flash drive to your PC. Find the destination of your converted videos, and select and copy the folder to the USB flash drive.
10. The final step is to eject your USB drive safely and plug it into your PS4 USB port and watch your digitized videos or movies.
So, can you play DVDs on PS4? I hope that the steps here will clear your hassle with playing blu-rays or DVDs on PlayStation 4.
To summarise, it is important to know that PS4 has its limitations considering the fact that you cannot play DVDs without the internet if you have not enabled Disc Playback Feature. And to enable this feature, you require a good network.
However, this is a one-time feature, which will give you access to use your DVD on PS4 without the internet. Additionally, PS4 is built to support USB plugs that can transfer files from your PC to your PS4. It is a hassle-free task.
Thus, another alternative to accessing DVD files on your PS4 is also by using your flash drives. For this method, you will have to take the help of software such as Wonderfox DVD Ripper Pro to digitize your DVD files portably.
Therefore, the step-by-step points are briefly mentioned to help you get the hang of the simple technical system and effectively learn how to play DVDs on PS4.