Watching movies or videos online is trending now. But you need to have a good Internet connection only that you can watch the video as you wish. Alternatively you can download the video and watch it offline or at least you can save your favorites movie on your computer hard drive.
How to download online videos effortlessly? Well, there is no simple way and in fact you may need to pay for some software only that you can download especially for streaming sites like hulu, Netflix and CNN.
Luckily, in this article we will share with you some of the free methods to download online videos. You can use any one of the following methods to get the video from your desktop or laptop computer:
- Free or paid video downloader (software)
- Browser add-ons or extensions
- Web based video downloader sites (video downloader app)
This article will focus on some of the great video grabber sites to let you download video for free. But there is no guarantee that you can use the free tool to grab any videos especially from those encrypted and/or streaming sites.
In fact, some of the URL video downloaders also offering the paid video download software as they know not all the movies can be captured/download using the free web based downloader.
URL or Web Video Downloader – Directly Download Video from URL
URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator or in simple term it’s the domain or address of a website. Web based video downloader is a site that allows you to download videos from many video sharing sites like youtube, metacafe, facebook, etc. Or we just refer it as grab videos via URL on browser.
Sometime you may encounter people say download video using url online that refer to the same thing i.e. web based video downloader or download video using online sites/online app. Those services provided by the sites have its pros and cons.
The most obvious advantage is that it’s free for use and no installation needed. What you need is copy the video URL and paste to the column provided and press the ‘Download/Grab’ button, bingo!
Of course you will see some ads on certain sites and you may also be offering the paid version of the desktop video downloader. Also, some video do not allow you to copy the exact video URL and hence you maybe unable to download the video using this way.
Compare to other methods of downloading videos, the free URL downloader mostly unable to grab videos from streaming or encrypted sites. Hence, if you are working in the media industry as a pro, you should get a more reliable software.
Top 5 Web Video Downloader Recommendations
After investigation, the following are some of the top web based video downloaders (video downloader app) that you can use to grab any internet videos online.
- This site support about 30 video sharing sites and you can use up to 4 methods to download the videos from the Internet.
- Method 1: Enter the video URL you wish to download in the box and press Enter.
- Method 2: Add “savefrom.net/” or “sfrom.net/” before the URL of the video to download. For example, navigate to the browser address bar and enter savefrom.net/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX-COylVbKE and press Enter. Then, click the Download button.
- Method 3: Use short domain names: ssyoutube.com, srapidshare.com. For example, you want to download this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX-COylVbKE. Copy the video URL to the browser and add the ss before the youtube i.e. https://www.ssyoutube.com/watch?v=jX-COylVbKE
- Method 4: For Mozilla Firefox users, you can install the add-on and download the video. For more info, visit the link here.
- It supports 28 popular video sharing sites like youtube.com, facebook.com, vimeo.com, dailymotion.com, etc.
- Just navigate to the above URL and paste the video URL that you wish to download to the box provided and click the Download button.
- You also can use the browser add-on (http://keepvid.com/extensions) and download video.
- Simple to use. Just copy the URL of the video that you wish to grab and paste it on the box then click the Download button.
- From the little window that show, click the Download Launcher to begin download the video.
- The site allows you to download videos from several popular sites like YouTube, Metacafe, Dailymotion, Megavideo, Vimeo, Spike, Break.com, Blip.tv, Guba.com, Google Videos, Yahoo Videos, Facebook Videos, Current.com, and Liveleak.com.
- To download video, copy the video URL and paste in the URL location box then click the Download button.
- You can enjoy the high definition (HD) videos off from those video sharing sites.
- Like other sites, just copy and paste the YouTube video URL (only) to the column and click the Search / Download button.
- You will be redirect to another page, you can select the video format and click the Download video button.
- You also can enter a search term to search for intended video. The site also provides you with weekly top 100 most downloaded videos.
- Disadvantage: The downloader only support youtube.com site.
Conclusion: Use the Free Web Video Downloaders Now
Of all the sites to download videos using url listed above, there is no one that can claim that they are the best. Most of them has basic feature that can grab online videos while some has offer other function like video conversion and screen recording.
The number of supported sites by the web video downloader can be different but the most important thing is that the downloader can get the videos from popular sites like facebook, youtube, vimeo, etc.
One of the major drawbacks of this kind of web downloader is that it’s unable to download from streaming video sites but most of the online providers are free to use.
If the above mentioned video downloader app unable to get the video from the popular sites, then you may need to consider other method like browser add-ons or video download software to save your favourites video/movie from the Internet.